Neither my husband nor I programmed Uncertainty into the GPS. Yet somehow, we landed in this foreign land, a place where everything seems familiar, but simultaneously distant.
God pulled our content family of four off road for a 4×4 adventure without the benefit of a map or warning. The trailhead began when a rare neuromuscular disease hijacked my body, my marriage, and the lives of my children.
I surrendered my control and self-sufficiency when I surrendered the medical leave of absence forms to my employer. As the primary wage earner for our home, I wondered what to do.
On the way to Uncertainty, we met Jehovah Jireh, the Hebrew name for God given by Abraham, which means “The Lord Who Provides.” God knows:
- The complications of this rare disease
- What gene possesses this genetic glitch
- My ranging emotions and my anxious heart
- When I will return to work and to what capacity
- My new limitations
- When the mortgage is due
- If we have to sell the house
- If I need a single story wheel chair accessible home
God has a habit of meeting people on the way.
- On the way to draw water, the Samaritan woman met Jesus at the well (John 4).
- On the way to reconcile with his older brother, Jacob wrestled with God. (Genesis 32:22)
- While fleeing a bad home life, Hagar met the Lord on the way to Shur. (Genesis 16)
- On the way to Damascus to arrest and persecute Christ followers, Paul meets Christ himself. This meeting radically transformed the trajectory of his life. (Acts 9)
God specializes in meeting people in crisis. When He meets you on the way, you will never be the same. Meeting God on the way to through your current circumstance does not mean you will bypass the trail. Rather, you will more of God through the journey together.
Our family did not plan to travel to the land of Uncertainty, but God met us along the way. His provision and abundance of peace makes the trek, “well with my soul.”
What about you? Has there been a time in your life when God met you on the way? If so please share below.
Happy trails to you!
~April Dawn White
© 2016 April Dawn White, All rights reserved
Join for monthly encouragement in your mailbox.
Members will also receive a free 7-Day Devotional, "When Life Take a Detour."