Years ago, a friend introduced the notion of focusing on one word for the year. Despite being several years younger, my friend possessed a mature faith that I wanted to emulate. She didn’t merely know about God, she understood God, the way He moves and the nuances of His character. Like my friend, I wanted to know God intimately, not know about God from a distance.
An Eight-Year Discovery
Looking back, I smile at each focused word. Some years I understood the reason why the focued word captured my attention. However, other years the reason behind the chosen word remained a mystery for me to solve.
- 2012: Unshaken (Psalm 16:8)
- 2013: Provision (Genesis 22:8)
- 2014: Abundance (Psalm 65:11)
- 2015: Hope (Hebrews 6:19)
- 2016: Trust (Romans 15:13)
- 2017: Refuge (Psalm 73:28)
- 2018: Rest (Psalm 46:10)
- 2019: Dwell (Psalm 91:1)
This year I will dwell on the word ‘dwell.’ While the layers of this word have yet to unfold, I have an inkling that God intends to teach me to:
- Dwell in His unfailing love (Exodus 15:13)
- Dwell in His joy (1 Chronicles 16:27)
- Dwell is His rest (Psalm 91:1)
- Dwell in His protection (Psalm 91:9-10)
- Dwell in His peace (Psalm 4:8)
- Dwell in His goodness and love (Psalm 23:6)
What is your one focus word for the year?
Perhaps, you’re not sure how to select a word. Next week, I will share ideas on how to choose one word for the year.
~April Dawn White
© 2019 Red Chair Moments | Images courtesy of Pixabay
Join for monthly encouragement in your mailbox.
Members will also receive a free 7-Day Devotional, "When Life Take a Detour."